Speaking about what the suspension consists of, you can distribute all its nodes according to the role they perform into several groups:
- elastic elements (springs) are needed to ensure the working travel of the suspension and return the wheel to its original state after passing the unevenness;
- damping elements (shock absorbers, struts) dampen the swing of the body, preventing it from entering into resonance with shocks from irregularities;
- the guide elements of the chassis (levers) set the trajectory of the hub during the suspension stroke and wheel turn.
The suspension is one of the arrangements that make up the chassis of the transport. It connects the wheels and the body, giving a smooth ride and stability of the car on the road due to shock absorption. While maintaining the state of modern automobile suspension car parts, the movement on the vehicle becomes safe and comfortable, the service life of the main mechanisms, parts, and assemblies of the car increases.
But in order to carry out professional repairs, the driver needs to know what the car's suspension consists of. In this case, he will be able to quickly detect a malfunction, replace a part or conduct debugging. Use our short article to understand how this complex mechanism works.
What are the parts of the car suspension?
The scheme of a vehicle suspension can be varied, depending on the model, but in addition to the general purpose of any type of car suspension part, it has similar components. Elements for elasticity, distribution of the direction of forces, damping elements, and stabilization of lateral stability are the same for all types of suspensions.
The elastic elements serve as a buffer between the car body and the unevenness of the road surface. These are elements that are the first to perceive the quality of the road and transfer them to the body in a softer form. These include:
- Springs work during compression. They can be constant and variable stiffness (with various rod thicknesses). A bump stop is installed in the spring, smoothes vibrations. A bump stop is required when the spring is almost fully compressed. Springs are a set of resilient metal sheets strapped to a ladder. Each sheet has a different length.
- Torsion bars are presented in the form of a pipe, inside which there are contraction rods. Cracked spinning force is used as elastic elements.
- Pneumatic or hydro-pneumatic element has the shape of a balloon. The operation of the car engine creates pressure in it.
Elements that distribute the directions of forces also serve as an attachment to the suspension to the body. In addition, these parts transfer forces to the body and correctly position the wheels in relation to the body, vertically and horizontally. These elements are double levers, as well as transverse and longitudinal levers. A shock absorber or damping element to counteract the elastic elements. A shock absorber is needed to smooth out vibrations. It is made in the form of a metal pipe with fastening elements. The shock absorber uses the principle of hydraulic resistance. Distinguish between oil, gas-oil, and pneumatic shock absorbers. Some shock absorbers have the ability to adjust the stiffness. These suspension parts are attached to the body and wheel bearings using bolts, silent blocks, and ball bearings:
- The silent blocks are pressed into the arms and bolted to the body or subframe.
- Ball joints are made in the form of a hinged tool attached to the levers and to the wheel support.
We hope that our short article helped you learn about parts of the suspension in more detail. You can also use PartSouq's help to purchase them. Our store only sells genuine products.
A short guide on suspension car parts FAQ
- What is the most important part of suspension?
The most important parts of suspension are bushings, pivots, and shock absorbers. If individual elements fail, the remaining modules can be quickly damaged.
- How long do suspensions last?
Depending on the specific car brand, operating conditions, and the driver's accuracy, the springs provide mileage from 50 to 200 thousand, sometimes even up to 300 thousand.
- What are the signs of bad suspension?
If you notice that the handling has deteriorated, the car pulls to the side, swaying, subsidence, or significant roll in corners occurs, creaks, knocks, or other extraneous sounds appear, then it's time to think about the state of the suspension and check it.
- Is suspension expensive to repair?
Suspension car parts range in price from between $1,000- $5,000. However, it is really possible to save money on the repair of this system by choosing PartSouq with its pleasant prices.