Honda Pilot is the largest SUV in the Honda lineup. The car has three rows of seats and a seven- or eight-seater saloon. The mid-size crossover is built on the base that is used for the Honda Odyssey minivan and the Honda Legends sedan. It is produced from 2002 to the present. In 2015, the model underwent its first restyling. Changes affected the design of the body and interior. The engine power has increased significantly.
Today, three generations of the mid-size crossover are presented. The latter was presented at the beginning of 2015. The new model differs significantly from its predecessors - modern design, the equipment has become richer. The designers thoroughly approached the design of a large SUV and laid great potential in it. You can see the Honda Pilot and its OEM parts have many benefits, but there are also some problems. So which of them are more? Let's figure it out.
In this article, you will learn about the most important features to look out for when buying this car. By comparing all the information received, you can easily accept all the pros and cons and decide on the question, "Is it worth buying a Honda Pilot?".
Advantages of Honda Pilot and its parts
- Cross-country ability of the car. The i-VTM4 system is responsible for the dynamic distribution of torque between the axles and between the rear wheels. As a result, the risk of slipping is reduced when driving in snow, mud, sand, or ice. The mode is selected using a button at the base of the gear lever. Automatic traction control changes the car's response to the accelerator pedal, stabilization work, and the gear shift algorithm. Therefore, with a ground clearance of 200 mm, you feel confident when driving a car not only in the city but also when driving on a dirt road.
- Spacious convertible interior. The car has eight regular seats. Even among full-size crossovers, such a number of seats are rare, mostly limited to the family. The third-generation Honda Pilot occupies one of the leading positions in terms of the number of passengers carried. Ample opportunities for transformation of the interior space turn the model from a minivan into a truck with a trunk volume of 1779 liters. The flat floor, which is obtained by folding the second and third row, allows you to go on a picnic or travel without a tent.
- Comfort. The Japanese approach to car design is felt in the Honda Pilot crossover, in almost all OEM parts:
- The electric drive, which is equipped with the luggage door, facilitates the loading process, which even a fragile girl can now cope with;
- Heated and electric front seats are already in the basic version;
- Separate front row seat armrests;
- Leather upholstery for armchairs;
- Multifunctional leather steering wheel with heating;
- Nine-inch display for the second row, on which the DVD playback function is available;
- Multimedia system with ten speakers.
- Safety. Caring for the driver and passengers is already evident in the equipment of the basic version of the model, which includes:
- 4-channel brakes;
- Tire pressure monitoring;
- Braking enhancement system;
- Help when moving uphill;
- Airbags: front, side, curtains;
- Exchange rate stability system;
- Traction control;
- Rear View Camera.
- In more advanced trim levels, front and rear parking sensors and a lane control system are added.
- Technologies and equipment. The Honda Pilot 2018 cabin is equipped with a modern Honda Connect multimedia system, with the ability to connect smartphones. Now you can talk on the phone without being distracted from the road, as well as play your favorite tracks or activate the call using the buttons on the steering wheel. The crossover in the Executive package is equipped with such Honda parts like:
- Keyless entry system;
- 3-zone climate control. Separate areas for the driver, front passenger, and second row;
- The rear-view mirrors independently change the slope when the car is reversing so that the driver has access to maximum traffic information;
- Electronic heated rear seats.
Disadvantages of Honda Pilot and its parts
Japanese designers have thoroughly worked on the model, and it is rather difficult to find significant disadvantages of the third generation Honda Pilot. Critics of the model name, such shortcomings which concern:
- Body. Thin and soft paintwork is a problem in many cars. Honda Pilot was no exception. After several years of operation, chips and scratches are noticeable on the body. The disadvantages of the car are chrome and plastic, which protect the front optics. Over time, they lose their original appearance - the first peel off, and the second becomes cloudy. Despite the fact that the body is resistant to corrosion, there is still a place that requires special attention. Rust appears on the tailgate. One of such Honda parts as a lock, which often breaks down, is also a hassle for the owners.
- Interior. The weak point of the car interior is the finishing materials. They are of rather low quality. Especially plastic. Due to excessive rigidity, scratches quickly appear on it. In the winter season, until the car warms up, squeaks are heard in the cabin, which can be annoying. One of the important OEM Honda parts, such as the air conditioning system, must undergo a germicidal treatment every 45 thousand km. Otherwise, the inside of the car will smell unpleasant when it is turned on.
- Engine. The weak side of the motor is the front head camshaft. Due to the poor heat treatment of the cams, it wears out prematurely. The malfunction, as a rule, appears after a run of 100 thousand km. Signs of this - a sound similar to the grinding of metal.
- Transmission. The Honda Pilot is equipped with a five-speed automatic. In general, this Honda Pilot part is reliable. Problems usually appear if you drive aggressively and incorrectly service the transmission using cheap Honda parts purchased from unverified companies online. Over time, such disadvantages appear as:
- Shocks when switching;
- Oil leakage in the places where the pipes are connected;
- Rust appears on the threaded connection.
- Chassis. The mid-size crossover has an independent MacPherson suspension and a multi-link.
The disadvantage is the small lifetime of such details as:
- Rear shock absorbers - 100 thousand km;
- Racks - 50 thousand km;
- Silent blocks of the lower arms - 70 thousand km;
- Ball joints - 110 thousand km.
Disadvantages and weaknesses of the Honda Pilot crossover is a topic that causes heated discussion and controversy. Some owners are faced with a malfunction of the car after a run of 200 thousand km, others - after 30-50 thousand km. But, overall, the car is good. The crossover has a bright charisma that attracts the attention of motorists. If it is serviced in a timely manner and quality OEM Honda parts are used, then most of the breakdowns can be avoided. And to buy such Honda parts online, contact PartSouq.
Honda Pilot Reliability and Common Problems FAQ
- Where is Honda Pilot manufactured?
Honda Pilot is currently manufactured in Lincoln, Alabama.
- How long do Honda Pilot engines last?
If using OEM Honda Pilot parts and driving quietly, the car can last for 250,0000 to 300,000 miles. It is about 16 to 20 years.
- Is Honda Pilot expensive to maintain?
The Honda Pilot is significantly cheaper to maintain than many cars. Moreover, prices for OEM Honda parts can be reduced by choosing online shopping.