Oil, in its importance, can be compared with the blood of living things. In a car, it reduces friction between metal parts, preventing car engine parts from wearing out and keeping the engine clean and cool. When the vehicle is at rest, the oil is stored in a special oil pan reservoir. It also acts as a resting place for the oil before the fluid is pumped through the engine.
The oil pan car is located directly under the vehicle engine. And as you might have guessed, even that is not immune from breakages, cracks, etc. You can drive off-road or move off the curb and hit the asphalt, curb or ground with a pan. Yes, bumpers and decorative plastic elements in the lower part of the body suffer from this and the bottom of the engine.
It is important to understand that this malfunction can, in a matter of seconds, lead to the failure of a car engine, and its restoration will require expensive repairs or even a complete replacement of the internal combustion engine with a contract engine.
Next, we will talk about the symptoms and causes of malfunctions and how much it will cost to replace the oil pan.
Symptoms and causes of the failure oil pan car
First, let's talk about the structure of the oil pan to understand why problems can occur with it.
The design of the oil pan can vary significantly, depending on the vehicle design and the technological capabilities of the automaker. The following types are considered the most common:
- stamped sheet steel;
- cast, made of aluminum alloys;
- combined, in which there is a steel crankcase and an aluminum sump.
There are also plastic pallets, but they are quite fragile and easily damaged. The whole structure is fixed with special bolts. For sealing between them and the surface of the attachment, cork or cardboard gaskets are placed.
To protect the oil pan from damage, special crankcase protection is installed. But, in some cases, even it does not save this vulnerable engine part from breakdowns and dents.
Based on the types of damage to the oil pan, there are three types of damage:
- A small dent. In this case, the distance between the oil receiver and the bottom of the sump is reduced, which can lead to oil starvation of rubbing engine parts at high speeds.
- Significant deformation of the plane without breakdown. There is a high probability that the oil receiver tube has broken.
- Through-hole. If oil traces appear under the car and an oil pressure light comes on on the dashboard, it means that the tightness of the sump is broken. In this case, you cannot continue driving.
If the damage is minor, it can be repaired after removing the crankcase. Additionally, the oil receiver is checked and, if necessary, changed to a serviceable one. A new pallet gasket must be installed.
If the deformation of the oil sump is significant or there is a hole, then a new sump must be installed to replace the damaged one. Replacement requires compliance with certain requirements for the tightening torque of the fasteners.
A special sealing gasket is installed between the oil pan car and the crankcase, the main purpose of which is to ensure tightness, as well as prevent oil from leaking. It is usually made of rubber or cork. In some cases, it can be replaced with a conventional sealant.
During operation, the pallet gasket is worn out or damaged due to:
- hitting the bottom of the pallet;
- strong changes in temperature conditions;
- effects of the chemical environment;
- high pressure in the middle of the crankcase.
In this case, dirt can enter the crankcase, which will provoke a breakdown of the engine itself or its important components. Damage to the gasket may be indicated by a sharp drop in the oil level and pressure in the oil system, as well as the appearance of traces of grease on the sump.
Most common symptoms
- Low oil level is the most common symptom. In this case, of course, you need to check the entire system for vulnerability, but the breakdown of the oil pan or its gasket is one of the most common reasons for a low oil level.
- Traces of oil leakage on the ground. This symptom is inextricably linked with the previous one. The same thing: you need to inspect the entire system while, first of all, focusing on the oil pan. But if you have not noticed any vulnerabilities in the system, then it is best to leave the car overnight in a parking lot or garage and see where a puddle of oil forms.
- If you have a new car, then, most likely, you will find out about the breakdown of the pallet through the dashboard. The sensors will notice a rapid drop in the oil level and will notify you about it.
Many factors influence the price. You need to look at what brand of car you have, what year of manufacture, what model. In addition, the composition of the oil pan also affects the price, that is, what material it is made of, what capacity it has, etc. On average, on our website, oil pans for cars are available from 15 dollars to 1000. If you want to save money, it is better to buy oil pans for cars on our website, here are a few points why we are the best:
- a wide range of engine parts for any car, be it popular or very rare;
- parts are many times cheaper than in the official manufacturer of equipment for your car;
- with a decrease in price, quality does not decrease;
- convenient order and fast delivery.
Oil Pan: Replacement Cost, Symptoms, Failure Causes & More FAQ
- What to do if the oil pan car is punctured on the road?
Priority measures include:
- Stopping the vehicle and turning off the engine. Immediately after the impact, without increasing the revs, reduce the speed to a complete stop and turn off the engine
- Examining the engine compartment carefully for leaks
- Determining the impact site for further observation
If an oil leak is found, a tow truck or towing rope will be required. In the absence of obvious damage, it is recommended to visit the service station for a more detailed diagnosis.
- Is it possible to drive with a damaged oil sump?
First of all, you need to take into account that it is strictly forbidden to continue driving a car with a punctured pallet. The fact is that the pallet itself on most cars is a kind of reservoir for engine oil (an exception can be considered a system with a dry sump).
- How to avoid engine damage if the oil pan car is damaged
If during the movement there was a collision with any obstacle or the driver felt a blow in the area of the front axle of the car, then the load from the internal combustion engine should be removed as soon as possible.
Then you should open the hood and carefully inspect the car engine from above and below. When inspecting the upper part, you should check the integrity of the engine mountings and their mountings, inspect the internal combustion engine for fresh leaks at the locations of the gaskets, etc. As for the lower part, it is highly desirable to find the place where the blow fell directly.